The National Eye Institute estimate that in the years between 2010 and 2050, the number of individuals affected by the commest eye diseases — including age-related macular degeneration (AMD), cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma — “will double.”
Many of us struggle with eye issues. Whether you are near sighted or far sighted, you know how frustrating it can be to not be able to see without contacts or glasses. Are there ways to improve our eye sight and vision? Below are ways to maintain healthy eye sight:
1. Go for you regular eye exams and check-ups: Professionals can not only does an eye test determine whether or not you need glasses, but it can also spot eye conditions that can be treated effectively if detected early enough.
2. Eat foods that are beneficial to vision: Diets rich in fruit and vegetables promote eye health. Dark nutrient dense greens have antioxidants provide benefits that prevent cataracts.
3. Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight puts you at a high risk of developing diabetes or other disorders. The University of Melbourne in Australia and Leeds Beckett University in the United Kingdom conducted research that discovered losing a significant amount of weight can potentially reverse eye damage caused by diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity.
4. Protect your eyes when you are outside: Wearing protective eye wear guards your eyes from the strong UV rays emitted by the sun.
5. Rest your eyes: For every 20 minutes that you spend staring at a screen, look at something else that is around 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds to reduce eye strain. Even if you have perfect vision, proper preventative eye care is an essential practice towards ensuring the health of your vision in the years to come . The most important step is receiving routine examinations from a qualified eye care professional. Individuals between the ages of 20 to 40 are recommended an exam every 5 years or so, provided no visual changes or injury has occurred. Individuals over the age of 40 should have an exam every 2 years or so.
Plan features and benefits will vary depending on the provider, but features typically discounted include:
- Eye examinations
- Surgical procedures – including Lasik procedures where available.
- Contact Lenses
- Non-prescription sunglasses
Contact us today for more information! 732-363-3888