FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¾ cups (330g) white or whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp (15g) freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (14g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla crème stevia
- ¾ cup (180g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (120mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (150mL) nonfat milk
FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 2 tbsp. confectioner’s style powdered stevia
- 1 ¼ tsp nonfat milk
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat a 9×5” loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. To prepare the cake, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, vanilla extract, and stevia. Stir in the Greek yogurt, mixing until no large lumps remain. Stir in the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of milk. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and remaining milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.)
3. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until the top feels firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To prepare the optional drizzle, stir together the stevia, milk, and almond extract in a small bowl. Transfer the mixture to a zip-topped bag, cut off a tiny piece of one corner, and drizzle on top of the cooled cake just before serving.
CONTACT COSMO INSURANCE AGENCY
15 America Ave.
Lakewood, NJ 08701
2 University Plaza.
Hackensack, NJ 07601