The FSA Deadline: Use It or Lose It
As we juggle holiday shopping, it’s crucial not to overlook the impending deadline for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) funds. For many, December 31st marks the final day to use these pre-tax dollars earmarked for healthcare expenses. While some employers offer a grace period extending to March 15, it’s essential to confirm your specific deadline.
Broadening the Scope of FSA Spending
Contrary to common belief, FSA funds aren’t limited to doctor’s appointments or prescription costs. The range of eligible products is surprisingly extensive, offering numerous ways to invest in your wellness. Here are ten FSA-eligible items that might surprise you:
- Sunscreen in Winter: Even in colder months, UV protection is crucial. Broad-spectrum sunscreen products, including lip balms with SPF 15 or higher, are FSA-eligible. This is an excellent opportunity to invest in quality skincare products from renowned brands.
- 23andMe Health Services: Explore your genetic health history with 23andMe’s Health-only Service, an innovative way to use your FSA funds for personal health insights.
- Feminine Hygiene Products: From sanitary pads to menstrual cups, these essential items are eligible expenses. Stocking up on these necessities with FSA dollars can be both practical and economical.
- Migraine and Eye Relief Masks: For those suffering from headaches or eye strain, therapeutic masks offering heat and rhythmic massages can be a soothing remedy.
- Cold and Flu Medication: As we enter peak cold and flu season, FSAs can cover the costs of over-the-counter medicines like Tylenol or nasal sprays, helping you stay prepared.
- COVID-19 At-Home Tests: In light of ongoing health concerns, antigen at-home tests for COVID-19 are also covered, ensuring you can monitor your health from the comfort of your home.
- Foot Care Essentials: Indulge in self-care with FSA dollars by purchasing foot creams and callus removers, a simple luxury to pamper your feet.
- High-End Skincare: Beyond sun protection, invest in premium skincare products, including moisturizers and acne treatments, to maintain a healthy and radiant complexion.
9. Breast Pumps and Maternity Care: For expecting mothers, numerous maternity care items, such as breast pumps, nipple balms, and prenatal vitamins, fall under FSA-eligible expenses, easing the financial burden of new additions to the family.
10. Massage Guns for Muscle Relief: Combat muscle tightness or chronic pain with therapeutic devices like massage guns or foam rollers – a perfect treat for your well-being during the holidays.
As the year winds down, make the most of your FSA by exploring these varied and often surprising eligible expenses. From health tests to skincare and wellness products, your FSA funds offer a wealth of opportunities to invest in your health and well-being before the deadline.