Reminder that the form 5500 filing deadline is approaching. Below is a summary of Form 5500 and link to the Department of Labor Form 5500 online filing portal and instructions.
- Form 5500 is an annual report required by the Department of Labor and the Internal Revenue Service to ensure that employee benefit plans are being administered in compliance with ERISA regulations. Form 5500 contains information about a plan’s financial conditions, investments, and operations.
- Form 5500 must be filed by the Plan Sponsor of any fully-funded health plan covering 100 or more employees at the beginning of the plan year and Plan Sponsors of all self-insured health plans.
- Form 5500 must be filed annually by the last day of the seventh calendar month after the end of the plan year (July 31 for calendar year plans) unless an extension is filed.
- If the plan files for an extension, the Form 5500 is due two and a half months later (October 15 for calendar year plans).
- A Form 5500 must be submitted electronically. Click Here for the Department of Labor Form 5500 portal for filing and instruction.
If you any have questions or need help with form 5500 filings don’t hesitate to call.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is a full-service independent insurance agency based in Hackensack (Bergen County) and Lakewood (Ocean County), New Jersey that offers an all-encompassing range of insurance options for both individuals and businesses. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating our knowledge of the insurance guidelines for healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance, self-insurance, dental, disability, and long term care insurance, we keep our clients up-to-date with affordable plans that cover all their specific insurance needs.