The United States is currently experiencing a flu epidemic. It is very important to take extra pre cautions to keep yourself healthy and flu free. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that the U.S. is currently experiencing an unusually severe flu season. It has been categorized as having “widespread and intense activity” across the nation, according to Brenda Fitzgerald, the director of the Centers for Disease Control.
The Center for Disease Control is a great outlet to stay up to date on the current activity of the flu. They do not know how much longer the flu season will last, but they are estimating at least a couple more weeks.
Take these actions to prevent getting the flu:
1. Get Vaccinated: This one is a no brainer. It is the most effective way to help prevent the seasonal flu.
2. Wash your hands: Washing your hands protects your body from germs. Especially if you are sick, you should definitely be washing your hands after sneezing, coughing or blowing your nsoe.
3. Keep your hands away from your face: the CDC stresses the importance of not touching your eyes, mouth, and nose. These areas are very susceptible to germs.
4. Use you sick days: You don’t want to be that person that is sneezing and coughing at your desk. Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading it to others.
5. Eat and sleep well: the CDC recommends drinking a ton of fluids and filling your diet with nutritious foods. Your immune system needs nourishing foods like fresh fruits and veggies. Getting enough sleep is also very important. You need enough sleep to avoid getting rundown.
There are definitely more ways to prevent getting the flu during this epidemic but practicing these tips can significantly lower your chances of getting the flu. If you do get the flu, make sure you are insured! Having health insurance saves you money during trips to the doctor and god forbid, the emergency room. Cosmo Insurance can recommend a doctor to see depending on which health insurance plan you have. Call us today to get covered! 732-363-3888