Use insect repellent
Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellent external with at least one of the active ingredients below. When insect repellents are used as directed, they are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Picaridin (known as KBR 3023 and icaridin outside the US)
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
- Para-menthane-diol (PMD)
Tips for babies and children
- Dress your children in clothing that will cover their arms and legs.
- Use mosquito nettings to cover strollers and baby carriers.
- When using insect repellent on your child:
- Follow instructions on the label.
- Do not use products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or para-menthane-diol (PMD) on children under three years old.
- Do not apply insect repellent to children’s hands, eyes, mouth, cuts, or irritated skin.
- Adults should spray insect repellent onto their hands and then apply it to a child’s face.
Tips for everyone
- Always follow the product label instructions.
- Reapply insect repellent as directed on the label.
- If you are also wearing sunscreen, then apply sunscreen first and insect repellent second.
- To protect yourself against diseases spread by mosquitoes, CDC and EPA recommend using an EPA-registered insect repellent.
- Choosing an EPA-registered repellent ensures the EPA has evaluated the product for effectiveness.
Take steps to control mosquitoes indoors and outdoors
- Use screens on windows and doors—repair holes in screens to keep mosquitoes outdoors.
- Use air conditioning, if available.
- Stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in or near water.
- Once a week, empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers.
- Check for water-holding containers both indoors and outdoors.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is a full-service independent insurance agency based in Hackensack (Bergen County) and Lakewood (Ocean County), New Jersey that offers an all-encompassing range of insurance options for both individuals and businesses. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating our knowledge of the insurance guidelines for healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance, self-insurance, dental, disability, and long term care insurance, we keep our clients up-to-date with affordable plans that cover all their specific insurance needs.