Your insurance card is key to getting access to quality health care. There’s a lot of important information on your member ID card. Here’s how to read a Horizon health insurance card:
Let’s start with the front on the insurance card:
– Member name: In most cases, this will only show the subscriber’s name, not the covered dependent’s name. The doctor and hospital will accept this card for you and your covered dependents.
– Member ID number: Your member ID number is made up of a series of letters and numbers. It will be the same for everyone covered under your Horizon BCBSNJ plan and will remain as your ID number for as long as you are the subscriber of the health plan. Generally, the numbers after the 3HZN are what doctors and hospitals will need from you. The prefix (the first three letters/numbers before the 3HZN) is used by Horizon BCBSNJ to route claims for processing.
– Coverage verification data: Doctors and hospitals need this information to check eligibility and submit claims. They can also sign in to the provider website to verify your coverage.
– Primary Care Physician (PCP) name, if a PCP is required by your plan.
– Name of your Horizon BCBSNJ plan: You will need to know this when looking for participating doctors and hospitals
– Copayment information: This will show only if your plan includes a copayment. The copayment is how much you pay, if applicable, each time you get care, treatment or services. The amount may vary depending on where you receive care (i.e., hospital, primary doctor or specialist). Your copayment is not your coinsurance amount. Some member ID cards will also show your coinsurance and deductible amount, if this applies to your plan.
– Suitcase logo: If you have the “PPO in a suitcase” picture, it means you can get in-network care when traveling outside New Jersey from a doctor or hospital who participates with the local Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Plan. If you have an empty suitcase logo, nonemergency care received outside of New Jersey will be covered as out-of-network.
Back of insurance card:
– Member and provider claim filing information.
– Indication of whether your Horizon BCBSNJ plan is insured or self-funded – This has to do with how your employer, if applicable, administers your Horizon BCBSNJ health plan.
– Website address: Go online for information about claims, benefits, and the exclusive tools and resources available to you. Remember to register to access these tools and resources.
– Important phone numbers for you and your doctors.
– Logo indicating you have prescription drug coverage through your Horizon BCBSNJ health plan.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
CONTACT COSMO NOW
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE
GET A DENTAL INSURANCE QUOTE