You can get health insurance outside of Open Enrollment if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. These qualifications include the following:
You may qualify if you or anyone in your household in the past 60 days:
- Recently married. Your coverage can start the first day of the next month.
- Had a baby, adopted a child, or placed a child for foster care. Your coverage can begin the day of the event even if you don’t enroll 60 days afterward.
- Recently divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance. However, a divorce or legal separation without losing coverage doesn’t qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.
- Death. You are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period if someone on your Marketplace plan dies and you’re no longer eligible for your current health plan.
Changes in residence
Moving can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period if you are:
- Moving to a new ZIP code or county
- Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or the United States territory
- If you’re a student, moving to or from the place, you attend school.
- If you’re a seasonal worker, moving to or from the area, you both live and work.
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing.
Loss of health insurance
You qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you lost qualifying health insurance in the past 60 days OR expect to lose coverage in the next 60 days.
Coverage losses that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:
- Losing job-based coverage
- Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy, you bought yourself
- Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP
- Losing eligibility for Medicare
- Losing coverage through a family member
Cosmo Insurance Agency is a full-service independent insurance agency based in Hackensack (Bergen County) and Lakewood (Ocean County), New Jersey that offers an all-encompassing range of insurance options for both individuals and businesses. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating our knowledge of the insurance guidelines for healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance, self-insurance, dental, disability, and long term care insurance, we keep our clients up-to-date with affordable plans that cover all their specific insurance needs.