Are you pregnant and curious if you can switch health coverage while pregnant? You can enroll in health insurance during the open enrollment period, which usually runs from November 1st through December 15th in most states. However, this year’s open enrollment was extended in many states due to COVID-19. In New Jersey, the deadline to enroll in a new plan is December 31, 2021.
You cannot enroll or change health insurance plans outside of the open enrollment period unless you experience a qualifying life event. A qualifying life event will trigger a special enrollment period, which typically lasts 60-days. During these 60 days, you may enroll or switch health insurance coverage.
Giving birth is considered a qualifying life event; however, becoming pregnant is not a qualifying life event. This means that after you give birth, you will qualify for a special enrollment period. During these 60 days, you can enroll in a new health insurance plan, switch plans, or keep your current plan and add your child to your coverage.
What pregnancy benefits should you consider when looking at plans?
If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, some critical things to consider about your current or any potential health insurance plan are:
- If you need a referral to see a specialist/OBGYN from your primary care physician
- The covered cost of labor and delivery
- Your copay, coinsurance, and deductible amounts
- If prenatal testing is covered, like ultrasounds, amniocentesis, and genetic testing
- If you need to be preauthorized to receive prenatal care
- If non-traditional deliveries are covered like midwives and home-births. Some plans consider home deliveries not to be ‘medically appropriate’ and will not cover them, so make sure to check with your insurer if you plan on having a non-traditional birth.
- If private rooms are covered or if you will need to share a room during hospital delivery.
Call us today to speak with a licensed broker and get a free quote to find the best plan that suits your needs.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is a full-service independent insurance agency based in Hackensack (Bergen County) and Lakewood (Ocean County), New Jersey that offers an all-encompassing range of insurance options for both individuals and businesses. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating our knowledge of the insurance guidelines for healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance, self-insurance, dental, disability, and long term care insurance, we keep our clients up-to-date with affordable plans that cover all their specific insurance needs.