A recent finding published in the Journal of Mental Health found that 70 studies conducted over the last ten years to examine how social media affects mental health came back with differing conclusions. Some studies found social media to have a positive impact on people’s lives, whole others warned against the possible connection between social media and depression or anxiety.
Ultimately, the study found that social media does affect mental health. Whether it’s a positive or negative impact is determined by how the individual uses the platforms. Finding a balance and developing healthy habits for using media is essential for making sure it has a positive presence in your life.
1. Schedule time to use social media and times to step away. As with most things, balance is the key to having healthy habits on social media.
2. Be clear about what your purpose is when logging onto a social media site and stick to it. We’ve all been there where we go online to check something and then find ourselves watching video after video.
3. Use other people’s posts as inspiration rather than comparison. Seeing other people broadcast their successes and post magazine perfect moments of their loves might make your daily life pale in comparison. Looking at these posts as inspiration for you to work towards your own goals rather than directly comparing your daily life to their social media page, is a healthier way to view post.
4. Think before posting. Consider whether its spreading positivity among your friends or followers.
5. Put your mental health first. If getting notifications throughout the day makes you feel stressed or anxious then it would be a good idea to delete the social media app form your phone or disable push notification, so you only see alerts when you sign in manually.
Being on social media can help enhance your life, but it can also easily become an additional stressor and potentially exacerbate symptoms of anxiety or depression. Using some of these tips can help you create healthy social media habits that create balance in your balance in your life, protect your mental health, and male your social media use a positive force rather than a negative one.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.